The following modifications were made.
The elevon hinges as the plane is supplied, are moulded from the same foam as the fuselage and are fairly stiff. These hinges were cut and new hinges were formed from reinforced tape on the upper and lower sides. This allows the elevons to move freely over the whole range travel and present a much reduced load on the servos and make them more responsive.
The fuselage was modified around the prop. to make it more aerodynamic. I used a sharp steak knife first, then a file and some fine sandpaper to smooth it off. The trailing edge of the wing between the vertical stabilisers was originally square so I chamfered the top and bottom edges to make a sharp edge.
The plane was fitted with a 3S 4500mAh battery and could fly (cruising with no aerobatics) for about 45 minutes. For a bit more power I moved up to a 4S 3000mAh and the cruise time was about half an hour with a reasonable margin for error.
The undercarriage was installed to test automatic take offs and landings.
A steerable nose wheel and two fixed wheels on the wings were installed.
The nose wheel post is made from 5mm piano wire. The other wheel posts are made from 4mm piano wire. Bends in these wires were made after heating with a butane torch. The assemblies are made with 1.4mm thick aluminium sheet and are screwed into nylon standoffs imbedded and glued into the foam.